This universe has certain properties that seem to stay the same. This makes the universe knowable. Mass is accompanied by gravity. Earths spin makes day and night. Lightning creates ozone. We recognize these rules in repeating patterns which we use to make certain decisions and shape reality to our likings. These patterns we give names like “sun rays” or “awesomeness”. We use these names to communicate information about reality with each other.
Our brains developed in such a way that these universal rules can be understood. Intelligence is the ability to understand the universe. Our prefrontal cortex developed into a pattern recognition system which helped our ancestors survive better then those with an inferior prefrontal cortex. Those who were able to see the rules better had a better chance at owning it up. Logic or reason helps us to predict the future based on these patterns.
One method that makes use of the fact that the universe is knowable is the scientific method. The computer that serves you, the medicine that heals you; almost everything around us is constructed through deduction of knowledge out of the patterns the universe throws at us. We started to understand the game we are in, so we got better at it.
The universe is a strange beautiful thing of which we still do not know much but we can take relieve out of the fact that it is knowable. With a database like the internet almost every problem we have can be solved.
Know the rules and exploit them. Reality is my religion.
- “A piece of knowledge, unlike a piece of physical property, can be shared by large groups of people without making anybody poorer.”
– Aaron Swartz
- “What is the most important thing you could be working on in the world right now? And if you’re not working on that, why aren’t you?”
– Aaron Swartz
- “You make decisions, take actions, affect the world, receive feedback from the world, incorporate it into yourself, then the updated ‘you’ makes more decisions, and so forth, ’round and ’round.”
– Douglas Hofstadter
- “I think that’s the single best piece of advice: constantly think about how you could be doing things better and questioning yourself.”
– Elon Musk
- “The is a secret for greater self-control, the science points to one thing: the power of paying attention.”
- “Once we realize the extraordinary power we have to compose our lives, we’ll move from passive, conditioned thinking to being co-creators of our fate.”
– Jason Silva
- “Everything that we design is designing us back.”
– Jason Silva
- “We are part of this universe; we are in this universe, but perhaps more important than both of those facts, is that the universe is in us.”
– Neil deGrasse Tyson
- “Nations are invented. Borders are invisible. Prejudice is learned.”
– Abby Martin
- “Tradition is a idiot thing.”
– Rick Sanchez